Work Study Program Application 2021-2022
Peabody TV is the perfect medium for all students in the city to produce a wide range of diverse programs. The work study program is a valuable opportunity for local high school students to gain experience in media production by capturing community, school, and government events. This program will allow students to explore a potential career path or interest in the field. Our goal is to enable students to create a variety of local programming for our channels, website, and social media.
Skills & Requirements
The program is open to high school students who attend local schools. Students must review and abide by Peabody TV’s policies/procedures at all times. Experience in media production is a plus but not required, however the student must show interest.
If the applicant is accepted, completing orientation/training is required as part of the work study program. Orientation/training is an opportunity for the student to learn more about Peabody TV, become familiar with equipment, and engage with peers. The mandatory orientation/training will cover: shot composition, production terms, and camera/tripod operations. Optional training will be offered throughout the year in the following subjects: truck production, studio production, lighting, and video/image editing. Students may also request additional training in areas of interest.
Hours are largely driven by event coverage, each month we ask that students work a certain amount of events to ensure we have enough coverage and to remain an active participant of the program. We will maintain a work study group message to assist with providing this info. It is the student’s responsibility to frequently check our work study group message for event opportunities each month.
Prior to orientation/training, appropriate paperwork must be completed and students will need a checking account for direct deposit. Students will be paid a starting rate of $14.25 per hour, with opportunities for growth throughout the program.
- Basic production skills and desire to learn both field and studio production equipment.
- Experience in video and image editing, Adobe Creative Cloud (Premiere, After Effects, and Photoshop) is a plus.
- Ability to pay attention to detail, motivated, self-starter able to work both independently and as part of a group.
- Possess good written and verbal communication skills.
- Capture, edit, and assist in production truck for LIVE and recorded field productions.
- Capture, edit, and assist in control room for LIVE and recorded studio productions.
- Develop highlight videos of community and school events.
- Create custom content for Peabody TV’s channels, website, and social media. Students may request to create content of their own, if the idea is approved it qualifies for payment.