Work Study Program Application
Peabody TV is the perfect medium for all students in the city to produce a wide range of diverse educational programs. The student work study program is a valuable opportunity for local high school students to gain experience in broadcast television by filming local community, school, and sporting events.
The purpose of the work study program is to introduce students to the art of television, video, and media production, and to allow students to explore a potential career path or interest in the field. Our goal is to enable students to create a variety of local programming for cablecast on our channels, website, and social media.
We are currently accepting applications for our 2020-2021 high school work study program, deadline to apply is October 2, 2020! We will be in contact with you after the deadline if our team accepts your application. Finalists will be invited to come into our studio for an informal interview, tour, and to talk with you more about your interests and the position. Please email email@example.com or call our studio at (978) 977-0570 with any questions.
Skills & Requirements
This program is open to high school students who either attend local schools (Peabody Veterans Memorial High School, Essex North Shore Agricultural & Technical School, St. John’s Prep, Bishop Fenwick High School) or live within the City of Peabody. Students must review and abide by Peabody TV’s policies and procedures at all times. Experience in media production is a plus but not required, however the student must show interest.
If the application is accepted, completing unpaid training classes is required as part of the application process before being officially accepted into the work study program. Training is an opportunity for the student to learn about Peabody TV, become familiar with equipment, and decide if they are a good fit for the program. The mandatory training classes are: camera basics and shot composition. Optional trainings will be offered throughout the year in the following subjects: truck production, studio production, video and image editing. Students may also request additional training in areas of interest.
Hours & Payment
Hours are largely driven by event coverage, each month we ask that students work a certain amount of events to ensure we have enough coverage and to remain an active participant of the program. We will maintain a work study group message to assist with providing this info. It is the student’s responsibility to frequently check our work study group message for event opportunities each month.
Prior to the student’s start date; appropriate paperwork must be filed at Peabody TV with all information completed. Students also need a checking account for direct deposit. Students will be paid a starting rate of $12.75 per hour, with opportunities for growth throughout the program.
While no experience is required the following are desired skills:
- Basic production skills and desire to learn both field and studio production equipment
- Experience in video and image editing, Adobe Creative Cloud (Premiere, After FX, and Photoshop) a plus
- Ability to pay attention to detail, motivated, self‐starter able to work both independently and as part of a group
- Possess good written and verbal communication skills
Projects Students Can Be Paid For:
Students will assist with various projects over the course of their employment both in the field and studio. The following are types of projects that Peabody TV offers to students in the program:
- Film, edit, and assist in production truck (technical director, audio operator, graphics operator) for LIVE and recorded community events and sports coverage
- Assist with LIVE and recorded studio productions
- Develop highlight videos of community and school events
- Create custom content for Peabody TV’s channels. Students may request to create videos of their own idea. If the idea is approved, the production qualifies for payment.